About the BME Undergraduate Design Curriculum
Design curriculum history
The Biomedical Engineering undergraduate program was founded in 1999 with design at the heart of the curriculum. From the beginning we required students to complete six-semesters of real-world, client-based design.
Recently, in 2012, we completely redesigned our second semester sophomore course (BME 201), which captures all of our students at the beginning of their BME program. This new course provides direct hand-on training in both professional and technical design skills toward solving a guided design problem. The goal of this course is not to only instruct students in critical design processes, but to provide them with the resources necessary to be successful biomedical engineers and help them make informed choices with respect to their careers.
Since the start of the program, a number of projects have become patented, published or highlighted in the press.
Project successes and news stories
BME 402: Transplant organ coolant management system, (BME 400, BME 301)
Keeps an organ (such as a kidney) cool and allows easy manipulation in the operating room during preparation.
BME 301: Wireless, small and adhesive ultrasound probe for research
A small, adhesive probe which can be easily placed on the patient and remains static for the procedure.
BME 402: Automated System for Rat Gavage, (BME 400)
Automically deliver a dose of test material for pharmaceutical development.
BME 301: RaDistance safety meter
Device warn by an individual treated with radiation to alert them if someone is getting to close.
BME 200/300: Hapten delivery
Standardization of hapten delivery in the diagnosis of allergic contact dermatitis.
BME 402: EWH Project: Infant respiratory monitor, (BME 400, BME 301)
Low cost and highly reliable detection system that could alert nearby adults when infant breathing stops, giving them a chance to wake or resuscitate the infant.
- Senior BME Tong Design Award Honorable Mention: 2013
- News: Wisconsin Engineer: Engineering World Health A small but potent student group on a mission to save lives across the globe: Dec 2013
- News: To India and back: BME design students motivated to reduce infant mortality: July 2015
- Grant: Recognition for Global Engaged Scholarship
BME 402: Tibial stent, (BME 400)
A novel fixation device for pediatric orthopaedic tibia fractures.
BME 301: Cervical cancer screening software for under-resourced areas
Low-cost, portable software application to screen for cervical cancer cells in a sample for under-resourced and rural areas
BME 301: Endotracheal Lidocaine Applicator (ELA), (BME 200/300))
Device to deliver lidocaine to the trachea
- Junior BME Tong Design Award Winner: 2013
- Company: STELA Medical, LLC: Selectable Endotracheal Lidocaine Applicator
- Grant: Inaugural MadWorks Initiative
- Winners: 1st place Innovative Minds Perkins Coie's Award: 2014
- Winners: 2nd Place G. Steven Burrill Business Plan: 2014
- News: Anesthesia Applicator Device Wins Perkins Coie's: 2014
- Presentation: Poster: A Universal Selectable Endotracheal Lidocaine Applicator: Society for Airway Management (SAM) annual meeting, Philadelphia: 9/21/2013
BME 301: Wireless pulse oximetry sensor
Device to measure blood oxygen saturation and transmit that data wirelessly to the physician
BME 402: Standing Paraplegic Omni-directional Transport, (BME 400)
Mobility device to return Dr. Garrett Cuppels, a T-12 paraplegic surgeon, to the operating room
- Senior BME Design Excellence Award Winner: 2012
- News: WKOW TV: UW students aim to change life with student project: 3/21/2012
- News: On Wisconsin Magazine: Mobility Marvel: Fall 2012
- News: BME Monitor: SPOT: Fall 2012
- Image Gallery: SPOT Device Testing: 11/15/2012
- Video: Forward Motion Show, The Big Ten Network: SPOT-Bot: 1/28/2013
BME 402: Self measuring orthopedic drill system, (BME 400)
Device to measure the depth of drilling in orthopedic surgery and prevent plunging (over drilling)
BME 402: Braille watch, (BME 400, BME 301)
Displays the time in Braille run on any analog second hand watch.
BME 301: Absorbable hydrodissection fluids, (BME 200/300)
Biocompatible, absorbable, and thermal reversible hydrodissection fluid to protect neighboring tissue during tumor ablation
- Junior BME Tong Design Award Winner: 2011
- Company: NeuWave Medical - technology license
- Patent: US20130096552: Hydrodissection Material w/ Reduced Migration: 2011
- Publication: Design and validation of a thermoreversible material for percutaneous tissue hydrodissection: J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater: 6/6/2013
- Winners: 2nd Place: Collegiate Inventors Competition: BarrierASAP: 2011
- Winners: 3rd Place: NCIIA BMEStart Undergraduate Design Team Award: 2011
BME 201: Adjustable Height Changing Table
Changing table raises a lowers; designed and built for a family with a child suffering from severe cerebral palsy and epilepsy.
BME 200/300: Blinking Orbital Prosthesis, (BME 201)
Blinking orbital prosthesis that is synchronized to the blink of a healthy eye.
BME 402: GPS Linked Inhaler, (BME 400, BME 301)
Monitor the location of asthma inhaler usage
BME 402: Accessible Incontinence Device, (BME 400)
Device allows a patient to control the flow of urine
- Winners: 1st Place: Innovation Days Schoofs Prize for Creativity: 2008
- Winners: 2nd Place: National Design Competition for Accessible Medical Instrumentation (RERC): 2008
- Video: Accessible Incontinence Control Device
BME 400-402: Method of monitoring shoe sole elasticity (running shoes)
Device to determine shoe sole wear
BME 200/300: Device to provide rotation of the neck during CT and MR imaging
Add-on to an MR or CT that supports and rotates the neck to facilitate diagnosing damaged disks in the cervical spine
BME 400-402: GE Medical: ECG Lead Quality Monitoring
Method to isolate which ECG electrode caused signal degradation
BME 400-402: The Vertebral Monitor
Device to monitor and enhance back exercise
BME 201: "SpInE DR" Spinal Instability Evaluation and Diagnostic Rotator
Software and hardware add-on to an MR or CT scanner to quantify the degree of spinal vertebra rotation to facilitate diagnosing back pain and disc degradation
- Patent: US127281: Patient support and method for studies of lumbar vertebra rotation: 2/28/2003
- Publication: Measuring the axial rotation of lumbar vertebrae in vivo with MR imaging: AJNR Am J Neuroradiol, 23(7):1110-6: 8/2002
- Publication: Accuracy of an automated method to measure rotations of vertebrae from computerized tomography data: Spine, 30(6):694-6, 3/15/2005
- Publication: Axial rotation of the lumbar spinal motion segments correlated with concordant pain on discography: a preliminary study: AJR Am J Roentgenol, 186(3):795-9, 3/2006
- Winners: 1st Place: G. Steven Burrill Business Plan Competition: 2004
BME 200: Tongue Toner
Helps patients who have difficulty swallowing "exercise" their tongue muscles and measure their progress
- Company: Swallow Solutions - technology license
- Patent: US6702765: Apparatus for measuring tongue/hard palate contact pressure: 10/18/2001
- Winners: Finalist Collegiate Inventors Competition: 2002
- News: Wisc: Tongue device taken to national competition: 11/19/2002
- News: BME Monitor: Student inventors take tongue-toner to NYC: Spring 2003
- News: CNN: Tool makes for a well-toned tongue: 3/17/2003