Dialysis solution analysis for infection prevention (BME 402, Spring 2019)
- Company: PrevenX, LLC (May 2019)
Evaluation of LN2 Dewar Health Using a Weight-based Monitoring System (BME 402, Spring 2019)
- Publication: Evaluation of cryogenic dewar health using a weight-based monitoring system, Reproductive BioMedicine Online, Volume 39, e1 - e2 (September 1, 2019)
- Award: 2nd Place, CRB Symposium Presentation (May 17, 2019)
- Presentation: College of Reproductive Biology, 23rd Annual Symposium, New Orleans (May 16, 2019)
Near infrared pen (BME 301, Spring 2019)
- Award: Best Undergraduate Poster, MSOE Rocky Mountain Bioengineering Symposium (April 12, 2019)
- Company: VIABL, LLC (January 2019)
- Patent: Pending
Optical measurement of animal tumor volume for cancer research studies (BME 402, Spring 2019)
- Patent: Pending, P190262US01
A single insertion catheter for delivering intra-tumoral injection and brachytherapy (BME 200/300, Fall 2018)
- Patent: Pending, P190102US01
Mask for Oral Anesthesia and Manipulation (BME 200/300, Fall 2018)
- Publication: A Mouse Model of Oropharyngeal Papillomavirus-Induced Neoplasia Using Novel Tools for Infection and Nasal Anesthesia, Viruses, 12, 450. (April 16, 2020)
A miniature microscope for fluorescence imaging (BME 402, Spring 2018)
- Publication: Designing a Compact, Low-Cost FRET Microscopy Platform for the Undergraduate Classroom. The Biophysicist; 1 (2): 4. (January 2020)
Device for capturing IVC filters (BME 402, Spring 2018)
- Patent: Pending, P180230US02
Pressure monitoring model for casting a distal radius fracture (BME 402, Spring 2018)
- Licensed by: SAWBONES (2019)
- Presentation: International Pediatric Orthopaedic Symposium (IPOS), Orlando (2017)
SLIP project (Solution for Leakage through an Innovative Pessary) (BME 402, Spring 2018)
- Patent: Pending, P190117US01
- Clinical Trial: Solution for Leakage through an Innovative Pessary (SLIP), IRB number 2015-0593
TherVoyant: Compact guide for minimally invasive surgery in an MRI scanner (BME 301, Spring 2018)
- Patent: Systems and Methods for Surgical Guide For Real-Time MRI Surgery (August 10, 2018)
Neonatal breathing system (BME 200/300, Fall 2017)
- News: Wisconsin Students Perfect Breathing Device for Pediatric Surgeries: BTN Network (January 1, 2020)
- News: Undergrads design ventilator device; form company to aid newborns during surgery (January 25, 2019)
- Company: Wye-Not Medical , LLC (2018)
TherVoyant: Compact guide for minimally invasive surgery in an MRI scanner (BME 200/300, Fall 2017)
- Patent: Pending, P180149US01
Non-invasive quantitative airflow measurement (BME 402, Spring 2016)
- News: WARF Innovation Award winners take on ... airway obstruction (October 12, 2016)
- Publication: Non-Invasive Quantitative Airflow Measurement, International Anesthesia Research Society, Annual Meeting and International Science Symposium Poster (May 2016)
Telemetry Adaptor (BME 301, Spring 2016)
- News: Doctor’s brainstorm being realized at UW-Madison spinoff (March 14, 2019)
- News: Biomedical engineering team takes top honors in business plan competition (May 1, 2018)
- Award: 1st Place, Wisconsin School of Business, Business Plan Competition (May 2018)
- Award: Best Prototype, 2018 Transcend Madison Innovation Competition (April 2018)
- Company: Atrility Medical (February 2017)
- Patent: Adaptor to Allow Electrogram Visualization and Pacing from Temporary Epicardial Wires, US20180036542A1 (August 5, 2016)
Transplant organ coolant management system (BME 402, Spring 2016)
Keeps an organ (such as a kidney) cool and allows easy manipulation in the operating room during preparation.
- News: UW scientists bring organ cooling practices out of the ice age, Badger Herald (November 29, 2016)
- News: Morgridge ‘prototype pathway’ yields a novel organ transplant technology (November 10, 2016)
- News: Morgridge ‘Prototype Pathway’ creates new organ transplant technology, WMTV NBC 15 (November 10, 2016)
Wireless, small and adhesive ultrasound probe for research (BME 301, Spring 2016)
A small, adhesive probe which can be easily placed on the patient and remains static for the procedure.
Automated System for Rat Gavage (BME 402, Spring 2015)
Automatically deliver a dose of test material for pharmaceutical development.
- Publication: Reducing thumb extensor risk in laboratory rat gavage: Applied Ergonomics, 58:151-5 (January 2017)
Lipoma extraction device (BME 402, Spring 2015)
- Publication: A review of techniques and procedures for lipoma treatment, Clinical Dermatology, 3(4): 105–112. (March 21, 2016)
RaDistance safety meter (BME 301, Spring 2015)
Device warn by an individual treated with radiation to alert them if someone is getting to close.
- Patent: Device to monitor distance between people, US9424734 (December 3, 2015)
CO2 prevents sleep apnea (BME 200/300, Fall 2014)
- News: Device offers alternative sleep apnea treatment (June 4, 2019)
- Patent: Sleep apnea therapy device that automatically adjusts the fraction of inspired carbon dioxide (December 11, 2015)
Standardization of hapten delivery in the diagnosis of allergic contact dermatitis (BME 200/300, Fall 2014)
Standardization of hapten delivery in the diagnosis of allergic contact dermatitis.
- Publication: Standardizing the Delivery of 20 μL during Patch Testing: Dermatitis, 27(5):272-5: (October 2016)
- Publication: Journal Cover Photo: Dermatitis: (October 2016)
Minimally Invasive Spine Fusion Device (BME 400, Fall 2013)
- Patent: System and method for percutaneous spine fusion (August 8, 2014)
Cervical cancer screening software for use in under-resourced areas (BME 301, Spring 2013)
Low-cost, portable software application to screen for cervical cancer cells in a sample for under-resourced and rural areas.
- News: Cancer-screening software wins wireless competition (April 18, 2013)
- Award: 1st Place, Qualcomm Wireless Innovation Prize (April 18, 2013)
Endotracheal Lidocaine Applicator (ELA) (BME 301, Spring 2013)
Device to deliver lidocaine to the trachea.
- Company: STELA Medical, LLC: Selectable Endotracheal Lidocaine Applicator (2014)
- Grant: Inaugural MadWorks Initiative (2014)
- News: Anesthesia Applicator Device Wins Perkins Coie's $10,000 Award at University of Wisconsin-Madison 2014 Innovative Minds Challenge (May 19, 2014)
- Award: 1st Place, Innovative Minds Perkins Coie's Award (May 9, 2014)
- Award: 2nd Place, G. Steven Burrill Business Plan (April 2014)
- Presentation: A Universal Selectable Endotracheal Lidocaine Applicator, Poster, Society for Airway Management (SAM) annual meeting, Philadelphia (September 21, 2013)
EWH Project: Infant respiratory monitor (BME 402, Spring 2013)
Low cost and highly reliable detection system that could alert nearby adults when infant breathing stops, giving them a chance to wake or resuscitate the infant.
- News: To India and back: BME design students motivated to reduce infant mortality (July 17, 2015)
- Licensed by: Kriti Kare India Private Limited (July 15, 2014)
- News: Engineering World Health A small but potent student group on a mission to save lives across the globe, Wisconsin Engineer (December 2013)
- Grant: Global Engaged Scholarship
Tibial stent: Designing a novel fixation device for pediatric orthopaedic tibia fractures (BME 402, Spring 2013)
A novel fixation device for pediatric orthopedic tibia fractures.
- Patent: Stent apparatus and method, US9545272B2 (August 26, 2013)
Wireless pulse oximetry sensor (BME 301, Spring 2013)
Device to measure blood oxygen saturation and transmit that data wirelessly to the physician.
- Award: 3rd Place, Qualcomm Wireless Innovation Prize (April 18, 2013)
Digital Braille watch (BME 402, Spring 2012)
Displays the time in Braille run by the second hand of an analog watch.
- News: WARF exhibit showcases inventions from university’s most innovative minds, Badger Herald (October 4, 2016)
- News: WARF patent drawing exhibit shows artistic side of science (September 27, 2016)
- Patent: Braille watch, US8483018B2 (December 8, 2011)
- News: Technology Summary: Mechanism for a Braille Watch, WARF
Self measuring orthopedic drill system (BME 402, Spring 2012)
Device to measure the depth of drilling in orthopedic surgery and prevent plunging (over drilling).
- Patent: Drill sleeve, US9277926B2 (October 2012)
Standing Paraplegic Omni-directional Transport (SPOT) (BME 402, Spring 2012)
Mobility device to return Dr. Garrett Cuppels, a T-12 paraplegic surgeon, to the operating room.
- News: SPOT-Bot, Forward Motion Show, The Big Ten Network (January 28, 2013)
- News: Standing Paraplegic Omni-Directional Transport, BME Monitor (December 2012)
- News: Mobility Marvel, On Wisconsin Magazine (December 2012)
- News: Image Gallery: SPOT Device Testing (November 15, 2012)
- News: UW students aim to change life with student project, WKOW (March 21, 2012)
Absorbable hydrodissection fluids (BME 301, Spring 2011)
Biocompatible, absorbable, and thermal reversible hydrodissection fluid to protect neighboring tissue during tumor ablation.
- Publication: Design and Validation of a Thermoreversible Material for Percutaneous Tissue Hydrodissection, J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater (June 6, 2013)
- Licensed by: NeuWave Medical
- Patent: Hydrodissection Material with Reduced Migration, US20130096552A1 (October 14, 2011)
- Award: 2nd Place, Collegiate Inventors Competition, BarrierASAP (2011)
- Award: 3rd Place, NCIIA BMEStart Undergraduate Design Team Award (2011)
Adjustable Height Changing Table (BME 201, Spring 2011)
Changing table raises a lowers; designed and built for a family with a child suffering from severe cerebral palsy and epilepsy.
- News: Biomedical engineering students: making a difference through design (January 19, 2012)
Accessible Incontinence Device (BME 402, Spring 2008)
Device allows a patient to control the flow of urine.
- Award: 1st Place, Innovation Days Schoofs Prize for Creativity (February 12, 2008)
- Award: 2nd Place, National Design Competition for Accessible Medical Instrumentation (RERC) (2008)
GPS Linked Inhaler (BME 402, Spring 2008)
Monitor the location of asthma inhaler usage.
- Company: Propeller Health (Previously Asthmapolis) (2007)