Develop a low-cost and accessible biofeedback device for the mitigation of migraine.
- Patent: P210289, Portable, Affordable Biofeedback Device for the Treatment of Migraines (2021)
Lumbar spine model that allows residents and fellows to practice spinal injections prior to conducting procedures on patients.
- Presentation: The Lumbar Spine Procedure Model, UW Health Multidisciplinary Pain and PM&R Research Day (May 14, 2021)
Rapid, low-cost and reliable device that can collect whole blood and transfer plasma into assay chamber for antibody testing.
- News: By delivering more details, biosensor boosts antibody testing (March 23, 2022)
- Publication: Multiplexed COVID-19 antibody quantification from human sera using label-free nanoplasmonic biosensors (March 16, 2022)
- News: Yesilkoy lands grant to improve COVID-19 immunity monitoring (August 12, 2021)
- Grant: Widespread protective immunity screening against COVID-19 using a point-of-care serology-profiling biosensor, Partnership Education and Research Committee (PERC), 2 years (July 2021)
Ultrasound guided neonatal lumbar puncture: A simulation training model for dynamic lumbar punctures
Ultrasound simulation trainer that provides repeatable, precise, and accurate training for spinal tap providers performing neonatal lumbar punctures.
- News: Pediatric physicians tap biomedical engineering students to design lumbar puncture model (April 27, 2021)
Method to thermally diagnose diabetic foot ulcers.
- News: Student duo using machine learning to improve diabetes treatment in India (March 4, 2021)
Quantify biofilm dispersion in a fungal infection in vitro setting.
- News: McClean, Beebe collaborating to develop new microfluidic system for studying fungal infections (March 8, 2021)
- Grant: McClean and Beebe, Under-oil open microfluidic system (UOMS) for studying systemic fungal infection, NIH (NIAID) R01AI15490: $3,804,305 over five years (February 1, 2021)
- Publication: Li C, Hite Z, Warrick JW, Li J, Geller SH, Trantow VG, McClean MN, Beebe DJ. Under oil open-channel microfluidics empowered by exclusive liquid repellency. Sci Adv. 6(16). doi: 10.1126/sciadv.aay9919 (April 2020)
Tandem bike modified so that an adult autistic child can go for rides with an attendant.
- News: Long ride: Biomedical engineering students persevere to build tandem bike for autistic adult (May 17, 2022)
- Company: PrevenX, LLC (May 2019)
- Publication: Evaluation of cryogenic dewar health using a weight-based monitoring system, Reproductive BioMedicine Online, Volume 39, e1 - e2 (September 1, 2019)
- Award: 2nd Place, CRB Symposium Presentation (May 17, 2019)
- Presentation: College of Reproductive Biology, 23rd Annual Symposium, New Orleans (May 16, 2019)
- Award: Best Undergraduate Poster, MSOE Rocky Mountain Bioengineering Symposium (April 12, 2019)
- Company: VIABL, LLC (January 2019)
- Patent: Pending
- Patent: Pending, P190262US01
- Patent: Pending, P190102US01
- Publication: A Mouse Model of Oropharyngeal Papillomavirus-Induced Neoplasia Using Novel Tools for Infection and Nasal Anesthesia, Viruses, 12, 450. (April 16, 2020)
- Publication: Designing a Compact, Low-Cost FRET Microscopy Platform for the Undergraduate Classroom. The Biophysicist; 1 (2): 4. (January 2020)
- Patent: Pending, P180230US02
- Licensed by: SAWBONES (2019)
- Presentation: International Pediatric Orthopaedic Symposium (IPOS), Orlando (2017)
- Patent: Pending, P190117US01
- Clinical Trial: Solution for Leakage through an Innovative Pessary (SLIP), IRB number 2015-0593
- Patent: Systems and Methods for Surgical Guide For Real-Time MRI Surgery (August 10, 2018)
- News: Wisconsin Students Perfect Breathing Device for Pediatric Surgeries: BTN Network (January 1, 2020)
- News: Undergrads design ventilator device; form company to aid newborns during surgery (January 25, 2019)
- Company: Wye-Not Medical , LLC (2018)
- Patent: Pending, P180149US01
Abdominal breathing training device for patients who suffer from asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, cardiac disease, and other disorders
- Patent: Wearable biofeedback belt device, US20180310861A1 (November 2018)
Salvage red blood cells from surgical sponges
- Publication: "Surgical sponge blood salvage spinning device design and testing", Journal of Medical Engineering & Technology, pp. 1-9 (January 18, 2019)
Lightweight, ergonomic syringe adaptor that will increase the comfort of those who perform prolotherapy.
- Company: SyringePro, LLC (October 2020)
- Patent: Slanted Syringe Handle, US20190184106A1 (October 17, 2018)
- Company: Slanted Adaptor, LLC (July 25, 2018)
- Company: AyrFlo (2020)
- News: WARF Innovation Award winners take on ... airway obstruction (October 12, 2016)
- Publication: Non-Invasive Quantitative Airflow Measurement, International Anesthesia Research Society, Annual Meeting and International Science Symposium Poster (May 2016)
- News: D2P Startups
Continuous streaming of atrial electrogram on patient monitor
- Award: Winner: Process award: 2022 Wisconsin Innovation Awards (October 12, 2022)
- Award: Finalists Announced for 2022 Wisconsin Innovation Awards (July 19, 2022)
- News: Innovative start-up Atrility sees growth for its AtriAmp device (September 20, 2021)
- Award: Madison firm wins 2021 Wisconsin Governor’s Business Plan competition (June 11, 2021)
- FDA approval: Atrility Receives 510(k) for AtriAmp Device (October 6, 2020)
- News: Doctor’s brainstorm being realized at UW-Madison spinoff (March 14, 2019)
- News: Biomedical engineering team takes top honors in business plan competition (May 1, 2018)
- Award: 1st Place, Wisconsin School of Business, Business Plan Competition (May 2018)
- Award: Best Prototype, 2018 Transcend Madison Innovation Competition (April 2018)
- News: D2P Startups
- Company: Atrility Medical (February 2017)
- Patent: Adaptor to Allow Electrogram Visualization and Pacing from Temporary Epicardial Wires, US20180036542A1 (August 5, 2016)
Keeps an organ (such as a kidney) cool and allows easy manipulation in the operating room during preparation.
- News: UW scientists bring organ cooling practices out of the ice age, Badger Herald (November 29, 2016)
- News: Morgridge ‘prototype pathway’ yields a novel organ transplant technology (November 10, 2016)
- News: Morgridge ‘Prototype Pathway’ creates new organ transplant technology, WMTV NBC 15 (November 10, 2016)
A small, adhesive probe which can be easily placed on the patient and remains static for the procedure.
Automatically deliver a dose of test material for pharmaceutical development.
- Publication: Reducing thumb extensor risk in laboratory rat gavage: Applied Ergonomics, 58:151-5 (January 2017)
- Publication: A review of techniques and procedures for lipoma treatment, Clinical Dermatology, 3(4): 105–112. (March 21, 2016)
Device warn by an individual treated with radiation to alert them if someone is getting to close.
- Patent: Device to monitor distance between people, US9424734 (December 3, 2015)
- News: Device offers alternative sleep apnea treatment (June 4, 2019)
- Patent: Sleep apnea therapy device that automatically adjusts the fraction of inspired carbon dioxide (December 11, 2015)
Standardization of hapten delivery in the diagnosis of allergic contact dermatitis.
- Publication: Standardizing the Delivery of 20 μL during Patch Testing: Dermatitis, 27(5):272-5: (October 2016)
- Publication: Journal Cover Photo: Dermatitis: (October 2016)
- News: Sam Alkmin's experience as an exchange student inspired him to return to UW-Madison to pursue his PhD.
- Award: Qualcomm best business plan (April 2014)
- Patent: System and method for percutaneous spine fusion (August 8, 2014)
Low-cost, portable software application to screen for cervical cancer cells in a sample for under-resourced and rural areas.
- News: Cancer-screening software wins wireless competition (April 18, 2013)
- Award: 1st Place, Qualcomm Wireless Innovation Prize (April 18, 2013)
Device to deliver lidocaine to the trachea.
- Company: STELA Medical, LLC: Selectable Endotracheal Lidocaine Applicator (2014)
- Grant: Inaugural MadWorks Initiative (2014)
- News: Anesthesia Applicator Device Wins Perkins Coie's $10,000 Award at University of Wisconsin-Madison 2014 Innovative Minds Challenge (May 19, 2014)
- Award: 1st Place, Innovative Minds Perkins Coie's Award (May 9, 2014)
- Award: 2nd Place, G. Steven Burrill Business Plan (April 2014)
- Presentation: A Universal Selectable Endotracheal Lidocaine Applicator, Poster, Society for Airway Management (SAM) annual meeting, Philadelphia (September 21, 2013)
Low cost and highly reliable detection system that could alert nearby adults when infant breathing stops, giving them a chance to wake or resuscitate the infant.
- News: To India and back: BME design students motivated to reduce infant mortality (July 17, 2015)
- Licensed by: Kriti Kare India Private Limited (July 15, 2014)
- News: Engineering World Health A small but potent student group on a mission to save lives across the globe, Wisconsin Engineer (December 2013)
- Grant: Global Engaged Scholarship
A novel fixation device for pediatric orthopedic tibia fractures.
- Patent: Stent apparatus and method, US9545272B2 (August 26, 2013)
Device to measure blood oxygen saturation and transmit that data wirelessly to the physician.
- Award: 3rd Place, Qualcomm Wireless Innovation Prize (April 18, 2013)
Displays the time in Braille run by the second hand of an analog watch.
- News: WARF exhibit showcases inventions from university’s most innovative minds, Badger Herald (October 4, 2016)
- News: WARF patent drawing exhibit shows artistic side of science (September 27, 2016)
- Patent: Braille watch, US8483018B2 (December 8, 2011)
- News: Technology Summary: Mechanism for a Braille Watch, WARF
Device to measure the depth of drilling in orthopedic surgery and prevent plunging (over drilling).
- Patent: Drill sleeve, US9277926B2 (October 2012)
Mobility device to return Dr. Garrett Cuppels, a T-12 paraplegic surgeon, to the operating room.
- News: SPOT-Bot, Forward Motion Show, The Big Ten Network (January 28, 2013)
- News: Standing Paraplegic Omni-Directional Transport, BME Monitor (December 2012)
- News: Mobility Marvel, On Wisconsin Magazine (December 2012)
- News: Image Gallery: SPOT Device Testing (November 15, 2012)
- News: UW students aim to change life with student project, WKOW (March 21, 2012)
Biocompatible, absorbable, and thermal reversible hydrodissection fluid to protect neighboring tissue during tumor ablation.
- Publication: Design and Validation of a Thermoreversible Material for Percutaneous Tissue Hydrodissection, J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater (June 6, 2013)
- Licensed by: NeuWave Medical
- Patent: Hydrodissection Material with Reduced Migration, US20130096552A1 (October 14, 2011)
- Award: 2nd Place, Collegiate Inventors Competition, BarrierASAP (2011)
- Award: 3rd Place, NCIIA BMEStart Undergraduate Design Team Award (2011)
Changing table raises a lowers; designed and built for a family with a child suffering from severe cerebral palsy and epilepsy.
- News: Biomedical engineering students: making a difference through design (January 19, 2012)
Devices for the fixation of a bone fracture
Device allows a patient to control the flow of urine.
- Award: 1st Place, Innovation Days Schoofs Prize for Creativity (February 12, 2008)
- Award: 2nd Place, National Design Competition for Accessible Medical Instrumentation (RERC) (2008)
Monitor the location of asthma inhaler usage.
- Company: Propeller Health (Previously Asthmapolis) (2007)